Friday, June 22, 2012

JUMP THE BARRICADES!

Andy Warhol's memorable declaration goes:"In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes."
Cartoonist Ted Rall's 2012 updated Warhohl : "Now, in the future, everyone is famous to 15 people."
I probably need to recruit a few more readers to meet that level of fame.

Rall's point is that pop culture has created a fragmented landscape where we each read one of a million blogs and listen to one of a million obscure bands. Who doesn't have a blog, right? Who hasn't released a cd? Or a book? Or made a movie?
So not only do we each get a fleeting experience of fame, we each have a very narrow niche in which to achieve such fame.

I mentioned Rall's insight at market this morning. My friend Tommy T responded with "The good side of our access to technology is we can so easily jump the barricades to sample ideas and creative expressions we would never have known about in the past!"

Actually Tommy insists he really said 'jump the barriers.' But I heard  it as 'jump the barricades'.  I'm sticking with barricades since I love the phrase!

What might 'jump the barricades' mean on June 22, 2012. It could be the name of a new song. Perhaps the title for a cd. I could even name my  as yet to be formed band Jump The Barricades!*

Maybe I'll just make this rousing phrase the title of my blog entry for today. Let's see if I climb up any on the fame barometer.

(photo from Tar Sands Action arrests in front of White House, Aug 2011)
* I'm not thinking of leaving Streetbeets btw...but I have noticed that lots of people are in 2 or 3 musical groups, so who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment